Madrid Open: Nadal and Federer meet again to decide Madrid Crown

Novak Djokovic was left searching for answers after this toughest loss to Rafael Nadal. Nadal saved three match points to complete a 3-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(9) comeback win over Djokovic to reach the Madrid Open final on Saturday.

“I had problems in the first set and some of the second. It was difficult for me to play at 100 percent. I had trouble pushing off,” said the top seed need his right leg to be heavily strapped just above the knee in the second set.

“In some points of the match I played even above my limits. And that was especially in the match points I had,” a red-eyed Djokovic said the four hour, three minute match. “It’s frustrating when you played so well and you can’t win. A couple of points decided the winner. So I’m very disappointer that I can play this well and still not win a match. The positives are I’m one point away from the victory.”



Djokovic showed he meant business after his recent losses to Nadal, earning the first break of the match in the second game off a double-fault. The Serbian third seed kept up the attack on the world number one, reaching 4-1 on his way to the early lead.

Federer smooth win 6-3, 6-4 over Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro, which finished in less time than one of Nadal and Djokovic match set.




Nadal stands a formidable 13-6 over Federer, winning five of their last six meetings including the Grand Slam finals in Paris, Wimbledon and Melbourne.

“Playing Nadal anywhere is a challenge, especially on clay. The extra factor here is that this is in Spain,” said the Swiss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment