Pete Sampras says “he could have beaten Roger Federer”

The 14-time Grand Slam champion says Federer doesn't see true serve-and-volley players and he doesn't think anyone could beat him on grass in his prime.

"I think one thing Roger doesn't see on grass is a true serve-and-volleyer, someone that's willing to come in and put pressure on him, make him pass, return," Sampras said during a recent conference call. "With these big serves, I don't think anyone really scares him. I think my game would make Roger a little more uncomfortable. I would come in on both serves, put pressure on his backhand, and go from there.

"Do I think I could have beaten Roger in my prime? Sure. I don't think anyone could beat me in my prime on grass. I felt unbeatable in the mid-'90s. But he'd be a tough guy to break, especially when he's hitting 50 aces like he did at Wimbledon. It would have been a great matchup."

0 comments:

Post a Comment