ATP Tour Finals 2009: Day 3 Report

First match was between my favo Fernando Verdasco, he suffered a last minute defeat at the hands of Juan Del Porto. It was first meeting against each other. They were neck-and-neck throughout most of the match, until Verdasco suffered an defeat during the final tie-break, with Del Potro winning the set by 7-1.


The game lasted 2 hour 20 min and had audience over edge of the seat. Verdasco started edgily in front of an expectant crowd of more than 15,000, and trailing 2-1 in the first set, the Spaniard mis-hit the simplest of forehands. His winners was 34 to 24 but his unforced error costed him dear 38-27 against Del Potro.

"Of course I was nervous, because I knew if I lost, I would probably be going home," Del Potro later admitted.


"The win was important for my confidence, and now I hope to play my best tennis against Roger," said Del Potro.

Fed Express came through 3-6 6-3 6-1 against Murray at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, a reminder of the gap Scotland's finest must bridge if he is to unseat the world No.1 next year. Murray's serve, which had been so dominant early on, faltered as Federer broke three times to wrap up the win.



Murray said: "I served terribly and that was the main difference in the match. "You can't serve at 40% against Roger because you give him so many opportunities to dictate play, but that's what I did.


Federer said: "I played a great match and him as well. I'm glad it lived up to the expectation. "Andy was playing well and I couldn't get a proper read on his first serve. "He's also one of the best returners in the game and when you're behind against the top guys it's not easy. "But it's a huge improvement and gives me confidence."

0 comments:

Post a Comment