ATP Tour Finals 2009: Day 4 Report

Robin Solderling proved himself that his win was not just by luck, by defeating Novak Djokovic in his second match here in ATP Tour Finals at London. He hasn’t lost single set and tops the chart in group B.


Swede prevailed 7-6(7-5), 6-1 victory against a near-exhausted Novak Djokovic, the world No3. There is no question Soderling has a big game, his wide, sweeping forehands are awesome blows and he hits the ball as hard as anyone.

"I won two matches in straight sets against the world number two and three. I couldn't have asked for anything more," said Soderling.


Djokovic came into the tournament as the favorite to win the tournament and in-form player after a run of 17 wins in 18 matches, but after edging out Nikolay Davydenko in his opening Group B match, the Serb complained of tiredness - and he looked sluggish throughout against Soderling.

Nadal’s season ends in losing to Davydenko, and knocked out of the ATP Tour Finals tournament. Having lost his opening match against Sweden's Robin Soderling in straight sets, he was beaten again last night, 6-1, 7-6 by the Russian Nikolay Davydenko. It is a far cry from the start of the year, which he entered as world No1.


"I didn't arrive to this tournament with the full confidence that you need to win these matches. And in the moments that I had to play well, I didn't play well. I made mistakes.

Davydenko, however, will seek to emulate last year's performance in reaching the final, where he lost to Djokovic when the tournament was held in Shanghai.


"It was an important tie-break," Davydenko said. "Tie-break for me, it's really important. I concentrated 100 percent. I tried to win. Almost every tie-break in last few months I have won. Again, I realize my tie-break today and I won."

0 comments:

Post a Comment